Water Facts and Resources
- More than 750 million people have no access to safe water for personal use.
- Every 20 seconds, a child dies from a water related disease.
- 30,000 people die every week from diseases caused by unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions.
- Women in water-stressed regions walk on average 3.5 miles everyday to get water to their homes.
- A five-minute shower in America uses more water than the average person in a slum in a developing country uses throughout an entire day.
- 1 in 9 people do not have access to an improved water source.
- In developing countries, dirty water is a greater threat to human safety than violent conflict.
- Dripping faucets in developed countries lose more water than is available each day to more than 1 billion people.
- By 2025, close to 3 billion people will live in water scarce regions of the world.
- Water and sanitation are some of the most powerful preventive medicines available to governments to reduce infectious disease.
- Blue Planet Network
- charity: water
- Clear Water Initiative
- U.S. Water Alliance
- Barlow, Maude. Blue Covenant. New York: The New Press, 2007. Print.
- Diamandis, Peter H. and Kotler, Steven. Abundance. New York: Free Press, 2012.
- Prud’Homme, Alex. The Ripple Effect. New York: Scribner, 2011. Print.
- Weber, Karl. Last Call at the Oasis. New York: Public Affairs, 2012. Print.
- Chellaney, Brahma. Water, Peace, and War. Lanham: Rowan & Littlefield Publishers, 2015.
- Sedlak, David. Water 4.0: The Past, Present, and Future of the World’s Most Vital Resource. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2015.
- Solomon, Steven. Water: The Epic Struggle for Wealth, Power, and Civilization. Harper Perennial, 2011.
- Fishman, Charles. The Big Thirst: The Secret Life and Turbulent Future of Water. New York: Free Press, 2012.
- Pearce, Fred. When the Rivers Run Dry. Boston: The Defining Crisis of the Twenty-first Century. New York: Beacon Press, 2007.
- Flow: For Love of Water. Perf. Bill Alexander, Maude Barlow. The Group Entertainment, 2008.Last Call at the Oasis. Perf. Erin Brockovich-Ellis, Jay Famiglietti. Participant Media, 2011.
- Last Call at the Oasis. Perf. Erin Brockovich- Ellis, Jay Famiglietti. Participant Media, 2011.
- Tapped. Perf. Sally Bethea, Earl Blumenauer. Atlas Films, 2009.
- Blue Gold: World Water Wars. Perf. Jim Olson, Tony Clarke. Purple Turtle, 2008.
- Thirst. Perf. Maude Barlow. Bullfrog Films, 2004.
- The Colorado River: Running Near Empty. Perf. Peter McBride. Yale Environment 360, 2011.
- Water on the Table. Perf. Maude Barlow. Water on the Table, 2010.
- Liquid Assets: The Big Business of Water. Perf. Michelle Caruso-Cabrera. CNBC.